The Loi Krathong festival in Thailand is a great thing to experience. Loi Krathong is the “Festival of Light” and is, after the Thai New Year, the most popular party in Thailand. The Thai people gather along rivers, canals and lakes to water the ‘krathong’ (a boat). This party is celebrated on the evening of the full moon in November. You should visit the Loi Krathong festival in Thailand!
My tips for a visit to the Loi Krathong festival Thailand!
What is the meaning of Loi Krathong?
This is a party with an ancient Thai tradition and is based on the bond that the Thai population has with the water. A ‘krathong’ is a lotus-shaped boat and is made from banana leaves. This boat is decorated with (lotus) flowers and has a candle and incense sticks as well as Thai coin money in it. Loi means “float”. The Thai people ask the water spirits for happiness and to literally let the problems go. The drifting lights take bad luck with them.
What’s there to do when you visit the Loi Krathong festival in Thailand?
It is a bit comparable to lighting a candle (in church). As a tourist you can therefore fully participate in this festival and experience it. Nowadays, Thai people buy a ready made ‘krathong’ at a retailer. This costs about 150 Bath (€ 3.75). All these ‘boats’ are made of biodegradable material. This is required under Thai law. So keep this in mind if you decide to make a boat yourself. All the boats on the water provide a beautiful spectacle with their candles.
In addition, many fireworks are being shot in many places in the country. And you can let loose a wish balloon (Khom Loi). This is a special experience, partly because you always have to do this with other people. All balloons in the sky seem to form many small stars together. This is a wonderful sight to see!
What are the best places to visit the Loi Krathong festival in Thailand?
• Chiang Mai: Here it is celebrated for almost a week and it is the most interesting place in Thailand to do so.
• Sukhothai: In the traditional surroundings of Sukhothai Historical Park, a beautiful light and sound show is performed during the Loi Krathong.
• Bangkok: At the Chao Phraya River, the Loi Krathong festival is also celebrated extensively.
• Ayutthaya: The most important Loi Krathong celebrations take place at Beung Phra Ram, the great lake between Wat Phra Ram and Wat Mahathat.
• All other places: I celebrated it in Krabi myself and this was nice too.
When to visit the Loi Krathong festival in Thailand?
• 23 November 2018
• 13 november 2019
- The 25 best things to do in Thailand
- The best 10 places of interest on Koh Samui
- The 3 nicest islands in Thailand
- Koh Payam, the last pearl of the Andaman Sea
- Discover Koh Chang island and the beaches, Thailand
- Visit Koh Kood, an undiscovered island in Thailand
- The bridge over the river Kwai, Thailand
- 45 reasons why I love Thailand
North of Thailand
- Travel route for the north of Thailand 2 weeks
- 4x the best places to visit in nothern Thailand
- All information for your trip to Pai
- 7x the best things to do in Pai
- 8 tips for Chiang Mai
- The 3 greatest hotels in Chiang Mai
- The 5 best places to shop in Chiang Mai
- The 5 must see temples in Chiang Mai
- A multi-day trek through the jungle at Chiang Mai
- 15 fun things you didn’t know about Bangkok
- 10x what to do in Bangkok
- The 5 temples in Bangkok youo have to visit
- Cycling in Bangkok
- The 3 greatest hotels in Bangkok