Burg Eltz is one of Germany’s most magnificent castles. This castle is located in the Moselle region and is certainly worth a visit. The Burg Eltz castle in Germany is beautifully hidden amidst the woods on a steep hill. It is a very interesting building with 8 beautiful towers. This makes it look mysterious and it feels like entering a fairy tale.
Visiting Burg Eltz, a fairytale castle in Gemany!
Burg Eltz castle in Germany
The castle is still in its original state because it has never been destroyed. It has been in the same family for over 850 years. From 1157 on, it has been the residence of the counts of Eltz and it has been built over a period of 500 years. The present owner, Count Karl von und zu Eltz Kempenich however, no longer lives in this place. On the inside, the castle is also very beautiful. Art lovers can look at all kinds of interesting treasures; artifacts of gold and silver, ivory and porcelain as well as historical weapons.
Walking to the Burg Eltz castle in Germany
There are several walks of various distances leading to the castle. This castle is located in the Moselle region and hiking in this region means climbing and descending. The walks are all breathtakingly beautiful though, so you’ll enjoy the surroundings.
The most popular hikes
1. From the village of Wierscheim: Der Traumpfad Elitzer Burgpanorama. The distance is about 12,6 km (4 hours) with a height difference of about 400 meters.
2. From the parking lot of Burg Eltz. From here you can take a path towards the castle that is about 1,3 km (20 minutes).
3. There’s also a shuttle bus that goes from the parking lot to the castle and back. This is 2 euro’s per trip.
Visiting Burg Eltz castle in Germany
• The visit to the castle involves a guide. The income is used for restorations and maintenance.
• Guided tours start every 15 minutes.
• From April up until the end of October, Burg Eltz can be visited daily from 09:30 hours till 17:30 hours.
• Parking at the castle costs 2 euro’s.
Would you like to visit Burg Eltz castle in Germany?
Looking for a great place to stay? Check here!