With Slovenia you probably do not think of being the first on a beach holiday. The lake of Bled, the capital Ljubljana, but especially the beautiful nature with the beautiful lakes and sparkling rivers are the things that come to mind. Slovenia has 46 kilometers of coast, but part of it is confiscated by ports. Yet you can enjoy the sun, sea and beach on the Adriatic coast in Slovenia. The coast of Slovenia has great beaches and Piran is a lovely coastal town!
The coast of Slovenia: beaches and Piran! Where do you need to go?
The coast of Slovenia: beaches and Piran
There are a number of coastal towns on the Adriatic coast of Slovenia and I have visited almost all of them. There are two harbor towns that I like the most: Piran and Izola. These two villages are located on a peninsula in the sea. Although you can swim in all two places in the Adriatic Sea, there are no huge sandy beaches.
The coastline in Slovenia is everywhere rocky and the boulders make it difficult to get into the sea and water shoes are definitely recommended. These coastal towns are completely different from the rest of the country, because everything here has a lot of Italian influences through history. This is reflected in the names on the signs, the architectural style of the houses, the menus in the restaurants.
My favorite place on the Slovenian coast is the old port city of Piran. The town is seen by many as the most beautiful town in Slovenia and is nicknamed ‘the pearl on the Adriatic’. And this I totally agreed! The city has become known through the salt trade, but nowadays salt is only won on a small scale.
Piran formerly belonged to the city state of Venice and therefore the town is bilingual. This is reflected on the many street signs, because they are in Italian and Slovenian. The streets in this town are narrow, the houses are small and colorful, the old church is beautiful and Piazza Tartini (the main square) is atmospheric and full of restaurants!
There are no sandy beaches in this town, but you can lie on the boulders or on plateaus and dive into the sea from there. You can also walk all the way up to the old city wall and to a small castle and from here you have a beautiful view. If you look closely, you see four countries at the same time: Croatia, Austria, Italy and Slovenia.
I enjoyed every second that I wandered through this city!
A fifteen minute drive from Pinar is the town of Izola. Izola is also located on a peninsula in the sea and this town has a large marina. The town is a kind of small and quieter version of Piran. Izola was once an island and that is why the relaxed island atmosphere is present here. All houses are painted in a pastel shade and the harbor has a beautiful boulevard with cozy restaurants. There is also a large lawn at the sea where you can lie down.
What makes the Slovenian coast, the beaches and Piran special?
- The coast is authentic and consists of a number of small villages. There are no large hotel complexes and it is a lot less touristy than in the neighboring countries Croatia and Italy. Most tourists who come here are Slovenian.
- It is also less crowded than some other places in the country, such as Lake Bled. The reason is simple, Slovenia is simply not known as a beach destination.
- The Slovenian coast is in an excellent location, because all sights of Slovenia are less than two hours away.
- There is a wonderful Mediterranean climate.
- The Slovenian coast is affordable, because the prices for hotels and restaurants are much lower than in the neighboring countries Croatia and Italy.
How do you get to the coast of Slovenia, the beaches and Piran?
All places are close together and from the capital Ljubljana it is about an hour away. Both towns clearly have paid parking places where you can easily park the car.
Would you like to visit the coast of Slovenia and the beaches and Piran?
I slept in one night myself Hotel Piran and I can recommend this hotel to you! The hotel is centrally located and you have a fantastic view of the city and the sea from the roof terrace. They have a free shuttle service to and from the public parking lot. The environment is cozy and the breakfast is extensive and delicious!
- Not what you are looking for? Find here more great places to stay in Piran!
- The best things to do at the fairytale lake of Bled!
- Tips for Slovenia: the best kept secret in Europe
- 7x the best things to do in Ljubljana
- 5x the best food spots in Ljubljana
- The 6 fun things to do in Dubrovnik
- 5x why I think Croatia should be your next destination
- The 3 things you have to do in Kotor
- 3 must do’s at Bosnia and Herzegovina
- The 7 best things in Milan
- All you need to know for your visit to Montenegro
- Which are the 3 nicest ruin pubs in Budapest?