Ecuador is located in South America between Colombia and Peru. This beautiful country has a Pacific coastline and is located right on the equator. This country is diverse and has everything: beautiful beaches, fascinating landscapes, active volcanoes, culture, anthropology. I have collected 16 fun facts about Ecuador for you.
16 fun facts about Ecuador
1. Ecuador is one of the 17 mega diverse countries in the world and has the highest biodiversity per square kilometer of any country in the world.
2. It is common knowledge that Ecuador is named after the equator that runs through the country. It is the only country in the world that is officially named after a geographical feature. The official name is “República del Ecuador” and this means “The Republic of the Equator”.
3. Charles Darwin visited Ecuador and its Galapagos Islands in 1835. His famous theory of evolution is largely based on this.
4. Ecuador was founded in 1532 by the Spaniards.
5. Lilies are used for funerals in Ecuador, so don’t make the mistake of taking these flowers with you on another occasion.
6. In case you need a doctor in Ecuador, you don’t have to worry. Health care in Ecuador is ranked 20th in the world.
7. Ecuador is the largest exporter of bananas in the world with about 25% of the total export of bananas worldwide.
8. The three colors of the Ecuadorian flag are yellow for country diversity, blue for the sea and sky and red for the blood of the fighters who won their independence.
9. In Quito the water boils at 90 degrees Celsius, instead of 100 degrees Celsius, because of the altitude.
10. The famous Panama Hat is made in Ecuador. Craftsmen on the coast woven these straw hats and they were taken to Panama. There they were sold to the employees of the canal to protect them from the sun. After the canal was completed, they were sold to the rich westerners who travelled through the canal.
11. In Ecuador, sunrise and sunset during the year are at the same time. The sun rises at 6 a.m. and sets at 6 a.m., making it twelve hours of light and twelve hours of darkness. This is due to the location on the equator.
12. You have no choice: you have to vote in Ecuador. This is due to a law from 1936. Voting is compulsory for everyone between the ages of 18 and 65. But you can already vote from the age of 16.
13. There are 14 recognized languages in Ecuador. Spanish is the official language, but also 13 indigenous languages are recognized, including Quichua.
14. Ecuador is one of only two countries in South America that does not share a border with Brazil.
15. In 2008, Ecuador was the first country to officially recognize the rights of nature. Ecuador recognizes that nature has constitutional rights and therefore the right to exist and persist.
16. The summit of Chimborazo is the highest mountain in Ecuador. It is the point on earth closest to the sun. Due to its location, the top of this mountain is the furthest point from the core of the earth. This also means that Ecuador is the closest country to space.
These are my fun facts about Ecuador! Do you know some more fun facts about Ecuador?
- The 5 things you shouldn’t miss when visiting Santa Cruz, Galapagos
- 7x you need to knwo when you go to the Galapagos Islands
- The most beautiful island of the Galapagos: Isla Isabela