Belgium is the land of waffles, beer and chocolate! It is a small country in Europe and the capital is Brussels. But of course Belgium is much more than these things. That’s why I’ve collected some fun facts about Belgium for you.
24 fun facts about Belgium
1. There are three official languages in Belgium: Dutch, French and German.
2. The word “spa” that we use for a place to relax and for the wellness treatments, comes from the Belgian town of Spa.
3. Belgium is the country with the most castles per square kilometer in the world.
4. Brussels International Airport is the largest chocolate sales outlet in the world.
5. Chocolate is one of the most famous products made in Belgium. This is due to the fact that the chocolates were invented in 1912 by Jean Neuhaus in Brussels. This is still one of the best chocolate brands in the world.
6. Approximately one tenth of the population of Belgium is fully bilingual and thus speaks two languages fluently.
7. Belgium produces more than 220,000 tons of chocolate every year.
8. The longest tram line in the world is the coastal tram in Belgium. This tram line is 68 km long and runs from Knokke on the Belgian coast to De Panne.
9. The highest point in Belgium is Signal de Botrange with 694 meters. This is lower than the highest building in the world in Dubai, the Burj Khalifa with 828 meters.
10. Belgium has the smallest gender pay gap in the EU.
11. More than 800 types of beer are produced in Belgium.
12. Belgium was the first country in the world to ban cluster bombs.
13. Belgium has more cartoonists per square kilometer than any other country in the world (even Japan). Belgium is the birthplace of the smurfs and Tintin.
14. There is no other country in Europe with as many street and music festivals in the year as in Belgium.
15. Belgian men are the second largest moons in the world with an average length of 181.7 cm. Only Dutch people are taller with 182.5 cm. However, Belgian women are in 21st place with an average length of 165.5 cm.
16. The Court of Brussels is the largest court in the world with an area of approximately 26,000 square metres.
17. Belgians are the inventors of the Body Mass Index (BMI), the saxophone and the plastic.
18. In Belgium, Luc Luycx designed the logo of the euro coin.
19. After France, Belgium has the most Tour de France victories. Famous Belgian tour winners include Eddy Merckx and Philippe Thys.
20. Tomorrowland is the largest electronic dance music festival in the world.
21. Belgium is the largest exporter of billiard balls in the world. Almost 80 percent of the billiard balls are made in Belgium.
22. The Borengebouw in Belgium was the first skyscraper in Europe. It was built in 1932 and has 26 floors and is 95.8 meters high.
23. Since 1447 there has been a diamond trade in Antwerp and this city is the diamond capital of the world.
24. Belgium is the country where Napoleon Bonaparte was defeated during the battle of Waterloo on Sunday 18 June 1815.
These are my fun facts about Belgium! Do you have any fun facts about Belgium for this list?