Sweden is a beautiful country where there is still plenty of space and where you can enjoy the unspoilt nature, the many lakes, national parks, the forests with moose, lynx, bears and wolves. But Sweden is also known for other things such as the IKEA, ABBA, Pippi Longstocking and Nils Holgersson. In Sweden you will find Lapland, which you probably know from the many snow and reindeer and the natural phenomena of midnight sun and northern lights. But there is much more, and that is why I have 24 fun facts about Sweden for you!
24 fun facts about Sweden
1. Sweden has not taken part in a war for more than two centuries, not even in the two world wars.
2. About 2,000 years ago, Sweden got its current name.
3. With a tax rate of 51.4% of GDP, the inhabitants of Sweden are one of the highest taxed people in the world.
4. Swedish parents are entitled to 480 days of paid parental leave, of which 60 days are reserved for the father.
5. Sweden has seven Nobel Prize winners in literature, including Selma Lagerlöf. She was the first woman to win this prize in 1909. Her birthplace on Mårbacka is a national shrine.
6. Every day an average of 1,836,000 meatballs are eaten worldwide in IKEA stores. IKEA was founded in Sweden in 1943 by Ingvar Kamprad.
7. More than a million lives have been saved with the Swedish three-point safety belt. This belt was launched by Volvo in 1959.
8. There are between 300,000 and 400,000 moose in the Swedish forests. More than 100,000 moose are shot each year during the annual hunt in which around 250,000 people participate. The moose is also considered the most dangerous animal in Sweden. Every year they cause around 6,000 traffic accidents.
9. The pacemaker, the astronomical lens, the propeller, the refrigerator and the computer mouse are all famous items invented in Sweden.
10. Sweden is the third largest country in the European Union by area, but has the third lowest population density (23.5 people per square kilometer).
11. Around 600,000 Swedes sing in a choir and there are more than 500 choirs in the country. This ensures that Sweden has the highest number of choirs per capita in the world.
12. ABBA is the fourth-best-selling music act in history, after Elvis Presley, the Beatles and Michael Jackson. The group has sold more than 375 million albums worldwide. The group broke in 1983.
13. Sweden was in 1972 the first country in the world to allow for the change of gender identity in the law.
14. There are 260,000 reindeer in Sweden. They eat mushrooms, lichen, grass and herbs. Suovas is a word in the native Sámi language and refers to smoked reindeer meat fillets. Reindeer milk tastes sweet and looks like melted ice.
15. Sweden has a total of 95,700 lakes that are larger than 100 meters by 100 meters. This is equal to 9% of the total area of the country of Sweden.
16. The Swedish company “King” is behind the Candy Crush app. This app has been downloaded almost 500 million times.
17. Sweden has one of the highest life expectancies in the world: 74 for men and 80 for women. Sweden also has one of the lowest birth rates with 1.7 children per woman.
18. Sweden has the highest number of McDonalds per capita in Europe with 227 restaurants. In the world only the United States has more McDonald’s per capita.
19. Stockholm, the capital of Sweden, is nicknamed the “Venice of the North” because the city is built around the water with 12 islands and 42 bridges.
20. The Swedish Astrid Lindgren wrote about 100 children’s books and these have been translated into 74 languages. She is therefore the 9th most read children’s book writer in the world. Pippi Longstocking has conquered the hearts of many children worldwide.
21. The first ice hotel in the world was built in Jukkasjärvi in Sweden. This was built in the 1980s by architect Yngve Bergqvist. The hotel has 60 rooms and is cut from 4,000 tons of ice and is open between December and April.
22. The Swedish passport is one of the best passports in the world. Without a visa Swedes can visit 124 countries and with a visa on arrival another 33 countries. The Swedish passport is currently ranked number 3 in the world.
23. Sweden was the first country in the world to prohibit the beating of children in 1979. After Sweden, another 35 countries around the world have done the same.
24. Football is by far the most popular sport in Sweden. In second place is innebandy and this is a kind of hockey that is played indoors and more than 200,000 people participate in this sport.
These are my fun facts about Sweden! Do you have any fun facts about Sweden?