Ireland is a beautiful island situated in the North-West of Europe. It’s separated from the United Kingdom by the Irish Sea. Ireland is a country with a long and interesting history. Ireland has influenced other countries and cultures and you will be able to find a lot of fun facts about the country.
22 fun facts about Ireland
22 fun facts about Ireland
1. There are four provinces in Ireland: Connacht, Leinster, Munster and Ulster.
2. The oldest Yacht club in the world is the Royal Cork Yacht Club and was founded in Cork in 1720.
3. The official language of Ireland is Irish (Gaeilge), however, English is being spoken the most.
4. A little less than a quarter of the population of Ireland lives in the Capital of Dublin.
5. Guinness is one of the most famous breweries in the world and was founded in Dublin in 1759.
6. Ireland is called Eire in Irish and the country is also known as the Republic of Ireland.
7. The country is divided between the Republic of Ireland (officially named Ireland), which makes up 5/6th of the island and then you have Northern Ireland which is part of the United Kingdom and is located North-East of the Island.
8.The United Kingdom is the only country which shares its boundaries with Ireland. The rest of the country is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean.
9. Ireland is the second biggest island of the British Isles, the third biggest island in Europe and the twentieth biggest island in the world.
10. Ireland has 6 national parks and the first park was founded in 1932 and is named Killarney park in County Kerry.
11. Carrauntoohil is the highest mountain in Ireland and is 1038 meters high.
12. Saint Patrick’s Day is the official national holiday. Every year, this is being celebrated on the 17th of March in Ireland, but more and more countries these days embrace this holiday.
13. The Irish drink 131.1 litres of beer per year on average and because of this, they consume the second most in the world per person after the Czech Republic.
14. The Woodenbridge Hotel was opened in 1608 and is the oldest hotel in Ireland.
15. Ireland is the only country in the world which has an instrument, a harp, as a national symbol. Some of the oldest harps in the world can be found at the Trinity College in Dublin.
16. Newgrange in Ireland is 5.000 years old and older than the pyramids of Gizeh and Stonehenge.
17. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Sean’s Bar in Athlone is the oldest pub in the world.
18. Ireland is the only country in the world in where the windmills turn clockwise. Everywhere else in the world, windmills turn counter clockwise.
19. The longest name of a place in Ireland is ‘Muckanaghederdauhaulia’, or ‘Muiceanach idir Dha Sahaile’ – the Irish name.
20. The Titanic was built in Belfast on the Harland and Wolff docks. This mighty ship sank during its first journey and more than 1500 people died.
21, Ireland is a nation of horse lovers! There are 26 racing tracks in Ireland: 24 in the Republic of Ireland and 2 in Northern Ireland.
22. The most popular sport in Ireland is “Gaelic football” and this is purely an amateur sport. The people who play this, are not getting paid.
These are my fun facts about Ireland! Do you have more fun facts about Ireland?