Thailand is a very beautiful country and many tourists visit it. Many people go south to one of the islands, for example Koh Samui or stay in the vicinity of Bangkok and visit an island in the neighborhood such as Koh Kood. Of course these are also great places to make a nice trip. But the area in northern Thailand has a hugely diverse landscape and countless attractions. It is often overlooked by tourists because it is not always convenient on the route. Something I find very unfortunate, because the north of Thailand has a lot of fun to offer. What are the best places in nothern Thailand?
These are the 4 best places to visit in nothern Thailand!
1. Trekking through the jungle for a couple days
The surroundings of Chiang Mai are very beautiful and very suitable for making a trek through the Thai jungle. I did a trek of 3 days and 2 nights and it was great. The jungle is a bit hilly, but not too extreme so you can walk relaxed and enjoy the surroundings. I walked through villages and crossed rivers, where I stood in the water up to my waist. Endless rice fields and beautiful vistas and I spent the nights in small villages with local people at home!
2. The village of Pai
Pai is high in the mountains and surroundings are breathtakingly beautiful. Landscape is dominated by green rice fields and impressive mountains. Pai is located about 130 kilometers from Chiang Mai and the route to this village counts 762 square bends. Just the route to Pai is a special experience. The atmosphere in Pai is very relaxed and the center consists of a few streets full of cozy restaurants, small cafes, hip coffee bars, scooter rental companies, massage parlors and excursion desks.
It is absolutely true what everyone says about Pai: you fall in love with it!
Looking for a place to stay in Pai? Check here!
3. The city of Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai is one of the most popular cities in Thailand. It is a completely different city than Bangkok! The city feels more village and the atmosphere is a lot more relaxed and you can explore the whole city on foot. Chiang Mai is both a top destination for nature and culture lovers.
I think Chiang Mai is the best city in Thailand!
Chiang Mai is a city where you can easily stay for a week, because there is so much to do! The city center has a sort of intimate and village atmosphere and houses many beautiful historic temples and sights within walking distance of each other.
- Looking for a place to stay in Chiang Mai? Check here!
4. The city of Chiang Rai
The city is best known for the beautiful nature in the area and the many tea plantations. Chiang Rai is the departure point towards the Golden Triangle and this is where the borders of Thailand, Myanmar and Laos come together. This region was formerly best known for opium cultivation. In this Golden Triangle region you will find hill tribes that are not westernized. The well-known Wat Rong Khun, also known as the White Temple, is located south of the city. This temple is still relatively new and the striking white color makes it one of the most recognizable temples in the country.
- Looking for a place to stay in Chiang Rai? Check here!
Check here my travel route for the north of Thailand 2 weeks
These are my 4 best places in nothern Thailand! Have you ever been to the north of Thailand and what do you think are the best places nothern Thailand?
North of Thailand
- Travel route for the north of Thailand 2 weeks
- All information for your trip to Pai
- 7x the best htings to do in Pai
- 8 tips for Chiang Mai
- A multi-day trek through the jungle at Chiang Mai
- The 5 must see temples in Chiang Mai
- The 5 best places to shop in Chiang Mai
- The 3 greatest hotels in Chiang Mai
- The 25 best things to do in Thailand
- The 10 best places of interest on Koh Samui
- Koh Payam, the last pearl of the Andaman Sea
- Visit Koh Kood, an undiscovered island in Thailand
- Discover Koh Chang island and the beaches, Thailand
- The 3 nicest islands in Thailand
- Loi Krathong festival Thailand
- The bridge over the river Kwai, Thailand
- 45 reasons why I love Thailand