Iran is a special country and my trip here has exceeded my expectations. For me it is my most favorite country I have ever been to. I have Iran in my heart and it would be cool if more people visit this fantastic country. The country deserves more tourists and in no country have I felt more welcome than in Iran. Iran is faced with a major image problem which is mainly due to the image of the media and the unfamiliarity of the country. What are interesting facts about Iran?
I have 30 facts about Iran for you that introduce you to the fascinating and impressive country.
I hope that after reading this blog you will know more about this country and understand a little about why it is so special to travel there. I have described 30 facts about Iran that you do not hear in the news and that do not relate to politics.
1. Iran is one of the oldest civilizations in the world with settlements dating back to the year 4000 BC.
2. Iran ranks seventh in countries with the highest number of registered locations on the Unesco world heritage list.
3. Persian culture is famous for its beautiful poetry, carpets and gardens. The word “paradise” comes from a Persian word “enclosed garden”.
4. Poetry is an important aspect in Iranian culture and all Iranians can quote famous Persian poems by heart.
5. Iran is the 18th largest country in the world with a total area of 1,648,195 square kilometers.
6. Iran borders ten countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Iraq and Turkey.
7. Iran is the only country that borders both the Indian Ocean and the Caspian Sea.
8. The capital of Iran is Tehran and this means “warm slope.” Approximately 12 million people live in this city.
9. The capital Tehran has one of the worst air pollutions in the world.
10. Approximately 70% of the Iranian population is younger than 30 years.
11. Education is very important in Persian culture and many people have followed college and university courses.
12. Iran is nicknamed “the nose job capital of the world” because many women undergo cosmetic surgery on the nose.
13. In Iran, girls over the age of thirteen must wear a headscarf in public.
14. Iran is one of the largest producers in the world of caviar, pistachios and saffron.
15. Almost half of Iran has a desert climate and there the rainfall is less than 10 centimeters per year.
16. The Persian Gulf has 60% of the oil reserves is the world. Iran alone has reserves of 125 billion barrels of oil and that is 10% of the total reserve in the world.
17. Oil is Iran’s largest export product and carpets are second.
18. Iran is known for the beautiful carpets that have been woven for more than 2,500 years. When making the carpets, the Iranian weavers often deliberately make a mistake to show that “only God is perfect”.
19. In 2007 Iran produced the largest handmade carpet in the world for a mosque in the United Arab Emirates. This carpet has the size of a football field.
20. The Persian cat is one of the oldest cat breeds in the world. They were brought to Europe from Iran by Italian merchants in the 17th century.
21. Iranian hospitality and courtesy are carried out by handling Tarof. Hereby one always says no out of politeness, while in the end they mean yes.
22. There is only one river in Iran, the Karun, where you can sail with a boat.
23. Surgeries for gender reassignment are permitted in Iran for transsexuals. Since 2008 more gender reassignment operations have been performed in Iran than in any other country in the world, only in Thailand there are more.
24. Iran has the only condom factory in the Middle East.
25. Iran has more than one million foreign refugees and there are more than any other country in the world. Most refugees come from Afghanistan or Kurdish Iraq. As a result, Iran has a large number of workers who want to work for low wages.
26. The most popular sport in Iran is football and the national team has won the Asia Cup three times.
27. Iran is one of the few countries in the world where you can conclude a “temporary marriage” and this can even be done for one hour.
28. There are no ties in Iran.
29. Although the Internet is being censored in Iran, there are more than 700,000 Persian blogs, most of which are from Iran and that makes Persian the second most popular language in the international bloggers world.
30. Polo was first played in Iran in the 6th century BC.
These are my 30 facts about Iran! Do you have more facts about Iran?
- Why I am going to Iran
- What do you wear in Iran?
- How to arrange a trip to Iran?
- How to arrange a visa for Iran?
- You know you are in Iran when….
- Tips for women who travel to Iran
- How do you prepare for a trip to Iran?
What to do in Iran
- The 20 must do things in Iran
- 7 must do’s in Esfahan
- Naqsh-e Jahan (Imam) square in Isfahan: the most beautiful square in the world
- 13 things you have to do in Shiraz
- The 6 best things to do in Kashan
- Nasir Al Molk mosque in Shiraz
- How it’s like to visit a mosque in Iran?
- Everything you need to know for w visit to Qom
- Bagh-e Eram, the most beautiful Persian garden in Iran
- Persepolis, a must visit in Iran
- What are the 10 most beautiful photo spots in Iran?