I think India is a special country and you can not compare India with any other country in the world. India is definitely my favorite country in Southeast Asia! India is intimidating and the country overwhelms you. The amount of colors, smells, sounds, people and traffic is overwhelming and stimulates all your senses. But I also think this country is sensitive, colorful and mystical. What are fun facts about India?
I have collected 27 fun facts about the special country of India!
1. It’s the seventh largest country in the world in terms of area, but it is the second country in the world with regards to the most inhabitants.
2. In 2050 India will be the country with the most inhabitants in the world with 1.6 billion people. This is the same as the number of residents of the US and China combined.
3. It’s the largest democracy in the world with 1.2 billion people.
4. Every year 100 million people come to the India Kumbh Mela Festival, making it the meeting with the largest number of people in the world.
5. In all, 13 of the 20 most polluted cities in the world are located in India, with New Delhi ranking as the most polluted city in the world.
6. There are six seasons: summer, autumn, winter, spring, summer monsoon and winter monsoon.
7. The official languages are Hindi and English, but the government also recognizes 17 other languages (Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Nepali, Manipuri, Konkani, Kannada, Kashmiri, Malayalam, Marathi, Oriya, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu , and Urdu). In addition to these languages, about 1,600 dialects are also spoken in the country.
8. There are more than one million millionaires, but about 35% of the population in India live below the poverty line.
9. To have enough money to buy a Big Mac, the average person has to work for almost 6 hours.
10. 53% of homes do not have a toilet.
11. The largest family in the world lives int his country: Ziona Chana has 39 women, 94 children and 33 grandchildren.
12. It has the lowest meat consumption per person in the world.
13. The Indian flag has three horizontal stripes: saffron stands for courage and sacrifice, white for truth and peace, and green for faith, fertility and chivalry.
14. All major world religions are represented and in India Hinduism, Buddhism and Sikhism originated.
15. Only 2% of people define themselves as atheists.
16. It’s the largest producer in the world of dried beans, such as kidney beans and chickpeas. India is also the largest exporter of bananas.
17. India produces 70% of all spices in the world.
18. The most famous person is Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948). He is known as Mahatma Gandhi and he has dedicated his life to peacefully liberating India from British rule. His birthday is October 2 and this is a national holiday in India.
19. Cows walk and are everywhere in the streets and they are considered holy.
20. Chess was here invented and the original word for “chess” is the word “chaturanga” meaning “four members of an army” in Sanskrit.
21. This country has made an important contribution to science. The concept of zero as a number is conceived in India.
22. It’s the country with the most post offices, namely 150,000, in the world.
23. It has one of the highest rates in the world for performing abortion. An average of 7 million abortions per year are performed, 2/3 of which are in unauthorized healthcare.
24. The largest film industry in the world is located in the city of Mumbai. The B in “Bollywood” comes from Bombay, the old name for Mumbai.
25. Cricket has been introduced by the British and is the most popular sport in India.
26. White clothing is worn to a funeral. Widows also often wear white clothing as opposed to the colorful clothes of the married and the single women.
27. London has more Indian restaurants than Mumbai and Delhi. Britain also has the largest Indian restaurant in the world, the Aakash, where 750 people can eat.
These are my fun facts about India! Do you know more fun facts about India?
- 5 must do’s in New Delhi
- The most bizarre temple in the world: Karni Mata’s Rat temple
- Visit the Pushkar Camal Fair in India
- 5 reasons why the Pushkar Camel Fair should be on your bucket list
- The 8 things you need to know about India
- 5 of the best ways to spend your time in India
The Taj Mahal