Paris is one of my favorite cities in Europe and I go there every year for a few days. There is a large amount of attractions, there are many shops, the streets are atmospheric, the food is delicious and the wine is tasty and all that makes this city a top destination! There are so many fun facts about Paris!
I have described 25 fun facts about the lovely city of Paris!
Paris is the capital of France and is also the largest city in Europe. It is the most visited city in the world, because every year no fewer than twenty-five million tourists visit the city. In 2024 the Olympic games will take place in this city. My 25 fun facts about Paris!
1. The city was founded in the 3rd century BC and was formerly called Lutetia.
2. The inhabitants of Lutetia called themselves “Parisii” and that is why the city got the current name.
3. In total there are 38 cities in the world named Paris.
4. Every year more than 200 films are made in the city, making it one of the most filmed cities in the world.
5. There are 6,100 streets in Paris. The longest street is Rue Vaugirard in the 15th arrondissement and is 4,360 meters long. The shortest street is Rue des Degrés in the 2nd arrondissement and is 6 meters long.
6. All trees in the city have been counted and mapped, and there are 470,000 trees in total in this city.
7. There are a total of 1,803 monuments and 173 museums in the city.
8. There are 450 parks and gardens and these together are more than 1200 hectares.
9. It has the largest number of libraries in the world, namely 830.
10. There are 181 places in the city where you can get an espresso for € 1.
11. If you sit on a different terrace every day of your life, it will take you 29 years before you have had them all. There are 9,057 terraces.
12. There are 1,784 bakeries and 1,124 bars.
13. The metro is the 4th largest public transportation system in the world with 302 stations.
14. The city is divided into 20 numbered districts called arrondissements. Number 1 is located in the center of the city and the others are clockwise in number.
15. The main clock in the Notre Dame cathedral weighs more than 13 tons and has the name Emmanuel.
16. The most famous painting in the world, the Mona Lisa, hangs in the largest museum in the world: the Louvre.
17. The French king Louis XVI died during the French Revolution under the guillotine at Place de la Concorde in Paris in 1793.
18. The famous Louis Vuitton store is located on the Avenue des Champs Elysees and is one of the most famous shopping streets in the world.
19. The famous Spanish painter Pablo Picasso lived in Paris from 1900 to 1946 in the Montmartre district.
20. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was signed at Palais de Chaillot in Paris in 1946.
21. Emperor Napoleon is buried at the Les Invalides cemetery in Paris in 1840.
22. The obelisk Luxor on the Place de la Concorde is the largest sundial in the world and is the oldest monument in the city.
23. Paris taxi drivers pay almost 200,000 euros for their licenses and therefore there are few taxis in the city.
24. The great mosque of Paris helped Jews during the Second World War and provided them with a Muslim identity card.
25. Despite its name Pont Neuf, the new bridge, it is the oldest bridge in Paris.
These are my 25 fan facts about Paris! Do you have fun facts about Paris?
Tip hotel Paris
I love the CitizenM Gare du Lyon Hotel. It’s great value for the money and I loved the check-in/out experience that is not dependent on hotel personnel. Breakfast was very nice. Location of the hotel is very central. This hotel is absolutely briljant and everything in the room controlled by technology. The absolute best bed I have ever slept in.
- Not what you are looking for? Find here more great places to stay in Paris!