How well do you know Luxembourg? Many people only know the country from the car when passing through to the holiday destination. Very unfortunate, because the country is interesting and beautiful, there is a nice rest and nature is beautiful with a hilly landscape. Luxembourg is a small country, but also has a flourishing cultural history. I have collected some fun facts about Luxembourg for you!
24 fun facts about Luxembourg
24 fun facts about Luxembourg
1. Luxembourg is the second richest country in the world in terms of per capita gross domestic product.
2. Luxembourg has the highest minimum wage in the European Union with a minimum amount of € 1,923 per month.
3. Luxembourg is one of the safest countries in the world. According to a UN survey, you are the least likely to be shot in Luxembourg. There are around 1,300 police officers and only two prisons in Luxembourg.
4. Almost half of Luxembourg employees do not come from Luxembourg, but travel to Luxembourg from another country. Most workers are French, Belgian or German.
5. The restaurant with the largest wine list in the world is in Luxembourg. In the Chiggeri Restaurant in the city of Luxembourg you can choose from more than 2,200 different wines.
6. Luxembourg is the only Grand Duchy in the world. The full name of the country is therefore the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
7. Just under half of the permanent residents in Luxembourg are of foreign origin. There are about 170 different nationalities living in the country.
8. Euthanasia and suicide assistance is legal in Luxembourg.
9. Luxembourg is one of the smallest countries in the world. It has an area of about 2,586 square kilometers, about the same size as the county of Dorset in the United Kingdom and slightly smaller than Rhode Island in the US.
10. Luxembourg is the least populated of all EU countries.
11. A traditional dish in Luxembourg is the “Luxembourg-Menu”. This is a meat dish of cooked and smoked hams, pâté and sausage, served with hard-boiled eggs, fresh tomatoes and gherkins.
12. Quetsch is a traditional alcoholic beverage made from plums in Luxembourg.
13. It is customary to bring a box of chocolate or flowers with you when you are invited to visit someone at home.
14. Flowers should be given in the odd numbers, except for 13 flowers because that brings bad luck.
15. The main industries of this small European country are iron and steel, banking, food and chemical industries.
16. Luxembourg’s motto is ‘Mir wëlle bleiwe wat mir sinn’ which stands for ‘We want to remain what we are’.
17. With 79.68 telephone lines per 100 inhabitants, Luxembourg has the highest ratio of telephone lines and people in the world. The average person in Luxembourg has just over one and a half mobile phones.
18. Luxembourg is famous in Europe for the large number of radio and television channels. It plays 34 television and 33 radio stations in 12 different countries.
19. Luxembourg sells the most alcohol in Europe per capita. However, the high proportion of alcohol is bought by customers from neighboring countries and this level of alcohol sales is therefore not representative of the actual alcohol consumption of the population of Luxembourg.
20. The literacy rate is 100% and the quality of education is one of the highest in the world.
21. The University of Luxembourg is the only university in the country.
22. Skype has its headquarters in Luxembourg. PayPal, Amazon, Rovie Corporation and Rakuten have their European headquarters in Luxembourg.
23. With 647 cars bought per 1,000 people, Luxembourg has the highest percentage of car ownership in the whole world. Volkswagen is usually purchased.
24. More Luxembourgers turn out to vote than any other citizens of other European countries. Ninety one percent voted in the recent elections.
These are my fun facts about Luxembourg? Do you have any fun facts about Luxembourg?