In the bustling metropolis of Hong Kong I have seen beautiful modern buildings, endless walks in nature, beautiful ancient temples, wonderful shopping and partying. Hong Kong is a top destination throughout the year due to its rich history and diversity of cultures, and Hong Kong is a unique blend of the East and West. This ensures that Hong Kong is one of the most visited cities in the world. What are facts about Hong Kong?
I have gathered 23 fun facts about Hong Kong!
1. The name Hong Kong comes from Chinese and literally means “fragrant harbor.”
2. The official name of Hong Kong is Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China.
3. Hong Kong is a special administrative region of China. China regulates defense and foreign affairs, but otherwise this former British Crown colony acts as an independent country.
4. Hong Kong is famous for its skyscrapers, but 40 percent of the territory is land and nature reserve.
5. Hong Kong consists of 263 islands, part of which is uninhabited.
6. Hong Kong’s inhabitants are considered as very intelligent, because they have the highest IQ level in the world with an average IQ of 107.
7. Hong Kong has the largest number of skyscrapers (buildings with more than 14 floors) in the world. It has more than 1200 skyscrapers and that is four times as much as for example the city of New York.
8. Hong Kong is in the fourth place worldwide as the country with the most billionaires. In 2016 there were 64 residents with more than 1 billion dollars.
9. In Hong Kong you will find the most expensive toilet in the world. There is a gold toilet of 60 million dollars that was built in 2001.
10. Hong Kong is one of the least car-dependent cities: 90 percent of all journeys in Hong Kong take place by public transport.
11. The highest point of Hong Kong is Victoria Peak and here you have a great overview of the city.
12. Hong Kong has the highest number of restaurants per capita. It also has the world’s most affordable Michelin star restaurant with dishes that cost an average of 2 dollars.
13. Tsing Ma bridge in Hong Kong is the longest road and rail suspension bridge in the world with a span of 1,377 meters.
14. The longest escalator in the world is located in Hong Kong. This is 800 meters and from 06:00 to 10:00 the escalator goes down and from 10:20 am to 24.00 hours it goes up up.
15. The famous dish Dim Sum originated in Hong Kong and means “to touch the heart” and is an essential part of local culture.
16. Many buildings in Hong Kong do not have a fourth floor, because leaving the number four out is very common, because four is an accident number.
17. From May to November they have the typhoon season, but there is a very efficient system for dealing with the tropical storms. A T1 signal indicates that a storm is coming, T3 means the storm is there and the school children have to stay home.
18. The national airline of Hong Kong is Cathay Pacific and it regularly wins the prize for the world’s best airline.
19. The airport of Hong Kong is the same size as 20 football fields.
20. The most expensive bottles of wine in the world were sold at an auction in Hong Kong for 232,692 dollars per bottle.
21. The famous Big Buddha on Lantau Island is the world’s largest seated Buddha.
22. It brings happiness when you first get a daughter and then a son.
23. The Peak Tram was the first funicular in Asia and is the oldest tram in the world. On average, this tram transports 11,000 people daily.
- Looking for a place to stay in Hong Kong? Check here!
These are my fun facts about Hong Kong! Do you have more facts about Hong Kong?
- 30 interesting facst about Taiwan
- 16 fun facts about Singapore!
- 25 cool facts about Mexico
- 30 interesting facts about Iran
- 27 fun facts about South Korea
- 15 fun things you didn’t know about Bangkok
- 23 things you didn’t know about Peru
- 16 things you didn’t know about the Taj Mahal
- 25 interesting facts about the Philippines
- 8x why I love Asia so much!