Taiwan has rapidly gained popularity as a holiday destination in recent years. The country is still largely undiscovered, but I think Taiwan is a very cool destination with many impressive sights, beautiful nature, energetic cities and small villages. There are many fun facts about Taiwan!
Curious about Taiwan? Read on for 21 fun facts about Taiwan!
Taiwan is a special mix of Chinese, Western and Japanese influences and therefore the country has a special combination of tradition and modernity that you will not find in any other country. My 21 fun facts about Taiwan!
1. Taiwan has an area of 36,000 square kilometers.
2. The distance on the main island from north to south at its widest is 400 kilometers and from east to west 145 kilometers.
3. 90% of the entire population lives on the west coast on a narrow strip of fertile soil.
4. More than half of the country is covered with dense forest.
5. Only Bangladesh has a higher population density than Taiwan.
6. Taipei is a city with a population density that is 40% higher than in the Netherlands.
7. It used to be called Formosa after Ilha Formosa.
8. Taiwan is not widely recognized as an independent state.
9. The official language is Mandarin.
10. Fort Zeelandia is in Taiwan and this fort was built by Dutchmen in the time of the golden age.
11. Taiwanese have health on a high banner and acupuncture and Chinese medicines are an important alternative to Western medicine.
12. Taiwanese do not show emotions in public.
13. The national flower is the blossom of the Chinese plum tree.
14. There is freedom of religion and about 50% of the population is religious.
15. The most important religions are Buddhism and Taoism.
16. The Taipei 101 tower was the tallest building in the world until 2007, after which it was surpassed in height by the Burj Khalifa.
17. The fastest lifts in the world are located in the Taipei 101 tower.
18. A popular sport is Tijiquan and this is a shadow boxing technique. This exercise is mainly performed during sunrise.
19. A disgusting smelly disaster startled the Tainan residents in Taiwan in the morning of January 2004. Then, in the middle of the street, more than 50 tonnes of sperm whale cadaver exploded.
20. Taiwan has a total of 41 airports.
21. The Taiwanese population is extremely superstitious. For example, they avoid the number four.Check this if you are looking for a place to stay in Taiwan Check here if you are looking for a places to stay in Taipei
These are my 21 fun facts about Taiwan! Have you ever been to Taiwan?
Cities in Asia