Malaysia is a country that lies partly on the Asian mainland and partly on the northern island of Borneo. Malaysia is really Asia. It is one of the richest countries in Southeast Asia due to investments in technology industry and a reasonable oil wealth. Skyscrapers, exotic wildlife, beautiful islands, jungle…. Malaysia has it all. What are nice facts about Malaysia?
20 fun facts about Malaysia!
1. In the past, Malaysia has been under Portuguese, Dutch and English influences. The country became independent in 1957, but the boundaries of the newly created country of Malaysia were only definitively established in 1965.
2. The standard of living in Malaysia is quite high compared to other countries in Asia and that is why there are many immigrants, especially from China and India in this country.
3. Prices in Malaysia are quite low, such as food, clothing and shelter, but alcohol is quite expensive compared to other Asian countries.
4. A traditional Malaysian dish is Nasi Lemak. This dish is great for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Nasi Lemak is a coconut rice, served with egg and spicy sambal Chili paste, dried salted anchovies, fried peanuts and fresh cucumber.
5. Everyone speaks English in Malaysia, although this is not the official language of the country. This is partly due to the multicultural society of Malaysia. The way to communicate with the (Indian or Chinese) immigrants is in English.
6. The borders of Malaysia are land and sea borders with Brunei, Indonesia and Thailand and shared maritime borders with China, Philippines, Singapore and Vietnam.
7. It is the 66th largest country in the world with an area of 330,803 square kilometers.
8. Kuala Lumpur is the capital of Malaysia and is the largest city in the country. It is one of the fastest growing cities in Southeast Asia in terms of population and economy.
9. Mount Kinabalu at 4,095 meters above sea level is the highest mountain in Malaysia.
10. The largest roundabout in the world is located in Putrajaya, Malaysia. It is 3.5 kilometers in diameter!
11. Borneo is an island divided by three countries: Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei. It is also the third largest island in the world after Greenland and New Guinea.
12. The Sarawak Cave at Gunung Mulu National Park in Sarawak, Malaysia, is the largest cave chamber in the world. It is said that a Boeing 747 fits in easily!
13. The largest amount of deadly king cobras can be found in Malaysia. They are the longest poisonous snakes in the world with a length of up to 5.7 meters. The longest known king cobra from Malaysia grew to about 5.7 meters and was kept in a zoo in London.
14. The world famous shoe designer Jimmy Choo was born in Penang, Malaysia.
15. The Penang bridge in Malaysia is the 3rd longest bridge in Asia and is 13.7 km long.
16. Malaysia is home to the oldest rainforests in the world. They are full of trees of no less than 100 meters high.
17. The Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur are the tallest twin buildings in the world and were the tallest building in the world until the Taipei 101 tower was built.
18. Malaysia is the second largest producer of palm oil in the world and it is the largest exporter.
19. The 21-year-old Malaysian Captain James Anthony Tan is the youngest pilot ever flown around the world. In 2013 he flew 40,000 km in just 50 days.
20. The national flag of Malaysia, the Jalur Gemilang, was designed in 1963 by a 29-year-old local architect named Mohamad Hamzah. The Malaysian flag consists of 14 red and white stripes and the stripes symbolize the 14 states in the country. The yellow crescent represents Islam, the official religion of the country, while the star symbolizes the unity between the Member States here.
These are my 20 great facts about Malaysia! Do you have any nice facts about Malaysia?