Are you going to Cambodia soon? Then I am sure that you will also visit the famous Angkor Wat temple complex! It is one of the 7 world wonders that you do not want to miss during your trip through Cambodia. The temple complex of Angkor is located near the nice town of Siem Reap. These temples are the beautiful remnant of the once powerful Khmer empire. Gazing at the dazzling beauty of these buildings is an experience that has to be very high on your bucket list! What are facts about Angkor Wat?
I have described 17 interesting facts about Angkor Wat!
1. Angkor is the largest religious temple complex in the world.
2. Angkor Wat literally translated means the city of temples in the Khmer language. The word “Angkor” is derived from the word “nagar”, meaning city. “Wat” is derived from the word “vatthu” which means temple.
3. Angkor is one of the largest human origins and Angkor is considered the largest pre-industrial city in the world.
4. A total of 300,000 workers and 6,000 elephants have worked on the construction of Angkor Wat and the construction of this main temple has lasted 37 years.
5. The iconic ancient temple of Cambodia, Angkor Wat, was built by King Suryavarman II who reigned from 1131 to 1150.
6. The temple was originally a Hindu temple and it was very unusual to dedicate a temple to Vishnu, a Hindu deity, instead of the current king. The temple was gradually transformed into a Buddhist temple at the end of the 12th century.
7. The decorations on the walls of the temple tell a unique Hindu story. They have images of fables and myths that originate in the Hindu religion.
8. Angkor Thom was built by King Jayavarman VII who reigned from 1181 to 1220.
9. The ancient temple of Angkor Wat was discovered in the 19th century by French explorers.
10. The entire complex of Angkor extends over more than 400 square kilometers.
11. The first western visitor to this temple complex was the Portuguese monk António da Madalena.
12. Half of the international tourists visiting Cambodia visit Angkor Wat. The ticket sales of Angkor Wat generate on average an amount of 20 million dollars per quarter.
13. The restoration of the temples is mainly paid for by foreign aid. Only 28% of the proceeds from the ticket sales are spent on the restoration.
14. The special thing about this temple is that it is built with a view on the west. This is in contrast to several other temples in the area that were all built with a view on the east. Archaeologists and scholars disagree about the reason for this deviant construction.
15. The Angkor region is registered on the UNESCO World Heritage List since 1992.
16. The Angkor temple Ta Prohm is used as the set for the famous movie “Tomb Raider”. The film company paid 10,000 US dollars per day for seven days.
17. The national Cambodian beer is named after the Angkor Wat temple.
These are my interesting facts about Angkor Wat. Do you have more facts about Angkor Wat?
Hotel Siem Reap
Hillocks Hotel and Spa is a great place to stay in Siem Reap. The staff and the general atmosphere at the hotel are very nice. It is a peaceful and clean place and you have free water all day long. The rooms are clean and the garden and swimmingpool are great.
- Not what you are looking for? Find here more great places to stay in Siem Reap.
- Phnom Penh: 5 must do’s
- Cambodia Killing Fields
- A visit to the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum in Phnom Penh
- A must visit: the Cambodia Landmine Museum
- The 3 greatest hotels in Siem Reap
- 5x Cambodia off the beaten track
- 25 fun facts about Cambodia
- Bagan: top 5 temples
- The 7 most beautiful temples in Asia
- 5 temples in Bangkok you have to visit
- The most bizarre temple in the world: Karni Mata’s Rat temple
* This article contains affliate links. Read more in the disclaimer.