Bagan is an exceptionally large and amazing temple complex in Myanmar with a total of more than 4400 temples, pagodas and monasteries. It is very popular with tourists and for many people it is the reason to travel to Myanmar. What are interesting facts about Bagan?
16 interesting facts about Bagan!
I think Bagan is fantastic and it is a magical and fairytale environment. It gives an impressive picture of the richness of this area thousands of years ago. Visiting these temples I find a special and at times even a mystical experience.
1. It is home to the densest concentration of Buddhist temples, pagodas, stupas and ruins in the world, many of which date from the 11th and 12th centuries.
2. From the 9th to the 13th century, it was the capital of the Kingdom of Pagan, which later on formed modern Myanmar.
3. In all, 55 kings ruled Bagan in a period of 12 centuries.
4. In this period the city grew enormously and more than 10,000 temples were built on the plains around the city.
5. The total area covers about 104 km².
6. At its peak, the city had a population of around 200,000 people.
7. It collapsed in 1287 after the Mongols invaded the city.
8. Now, seven centuries later, there are still around 2,200 temples.
9. It is located in an active earthquake zone and there have been many devastating earthquakes throughout the centuries. There were more than 400 earthquakes between 1904 and 1975 and in 2016 there was a major earthquake that destroyed many temples.
10. The Mahabodi temple is an exact replica of the famous Bodhi Gaya temple in India.
11. The walls of the temples are very thick to protect the sanctuary from the outside world.
12. It is also known as the “sea of temples”.
13. Bagan has a stable climate which ensures that Bagan is suitable to visit throughout the year. But the best time is November up to and including May as the rainfall is limited.
14. In this place there is no modern entertainment such as a disco or a bar.
15. It is one of the cheapest tourist destinations. A meal costs you between 1 and 5 dollars and a middle class hotel around 40 dollars.
16. In 1996 it was registered on the Unesco World Heritage list, but this registration has also been withdrawn because of the bad and incorrect restoration of many temples.
These are my facts about Bagan! Do you have more interesting facts about Bagan?
A great place to stay is The Bagan View Hotel. The location is great. It’s easy to walk around and it’s just a 10-20 mins cycling/ebiking distance to beautiful pagodas. The rooftop has amazing early morning views! The staff is extremely nice and helpful and the breakfast included many delicious options. It’s a very pretty hotel, inside and out.
- Not what you are looking for? Find here more great places to stay in Bagan!