Singapore is an island in South-east Asia, situated on the most southern part of the Malaysian peninsula. It is made up out of a couple of islands and is a very popular tourist destination. Singapore has grown out to be one of the most inhabited and one of the most prosperous countries in the world. This city has a perfect infrastructure and is one of the safest cities in the world and is also a shopping paradise. I have gathered some fun facts about Singapore which you don’t know!
16 fun facts about Singapore!
1. Singapore has a passion for toilets. There is a national “Toilet Day” and it is illegal not to flush. The fine you pay for this is $150.
2. This small city state is the least corrupt in Asia and the 5th least corrupt country in the world.
3. The inhabitants of Singapore are the fastest walkers in the world. According to a study, their speed of walking is around 6.15 km/h.
4. Despite Singapore being s city-state, it actually exists out of 63 smaller islands. Most of these islands are uninhabited.
5. The 5 stars in the flag of Singapore represent the ideals of democracy, peace, progress, justice and equality. The red colour represents brotherhood and white stands for purity.
6. Singapore has changed its time zone 6 times since 1905. Until May 31st 1905, Singapore was 6.5 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). Then it was 7 hours ahead and then 07:20, 07:30, 09:00, 07:30 and in 1982 it was 8 hours ahead of GMT.
7. It is one of only three surviving city states in the world. The other two are Monaco and the Vatican.
8. On the back of the $1000 bill, you will find a part of the text of the national anthem of Singapore.
9. Singapore has the biggest Yakult bottles in South-east Asia and also the most expensive ones.
10. It belongs to the 20 smallest countries in the world with a total area of only 682.7 square metres. The Unites States is about 15.000 times bigger.
11. The first night zoo can be found in Singapore since May 3th 1994. The construction of this night safari almost took 7 years and costed about $62.5 million.
12. Buildings in Singapore cannot be higher than 280 metres. There are three buildings which reach this height at the moment: OUB Centre, UOB Plaza and Republic Plaza.
13. The national language is Malay and not English! The National Anthem (Majulah Singapura) from this country is written in this language. In Singapore, you will find four official languages: English, Chinese and Tamil Malay.
14. Chewing gum is officially forbidden in Singapore and you cannot buy chewing gum at any store. Only a doctor can prescribe it to you.
15. Singha means lion in the Malay language and this is also why Singapore might also be referred to as The Lion City. The head of the lion is the symbol of Singapore. Funny, because lions actually never have lived here.
16. One out of six Singaporean households owns more than US$1.000.000. Singapore has the highest percentage of millionaires in the world.
- Looking for a great place to stay in Singapore? Check this!
These are my fun facts about Singapore! Do you have more fun facts about Singapore?
- 25 interestings facts about the Philippines
- 23 fun facts about Hong Kong
- 30 interesting facst about Iran
- 21 fun facts abouts Taiwan
- 27 fun facts about South Korea
- 25 cool facts about Mexico
- 15 fun things you didn’t know about Bangkok
- 16 things you didn’t know about the Taj Mahal
- 25 things you didn’t know about Paris
- 8x why I love Asia so much!