The Taj Mahal is the icon of India and the most photographed building in India. This attraction is a must see for all travelers! The Taj Mahal also overwhelms the most traveled travelers with its beauty. The poet Rabindranath Tagore described it as “a tear on the face of eternity”. Nobody can describe this masterpiece better than that! There are many facts about the Taj Mahal in India!
16 facts about the Taj Mahal, India!
The Taj Mahal
There are websites with texts and all travel guides are full of information about the Taj Mahal. But I have described 16 facts and things you didn’t know about the Taj Mahal in India!
- It’s not a palace, but a mausoleum where Mumtaz and her admirer, the emperor Shah Jahan, are buried.
- The emperor Shah Jahan has interfered with every detail of the construction.
- According to the stories, the hands of all workers were cut off by Shah Jahan after completing the construction. This to ensure that they could not cooperate in building a possibly even more beautiful monument.
- It is without doubt the most beautiful monument in the world that was ever built out of love.
- That Emperor Shah Jahan is also buried here was not his intention. For himself he wanted a black variant of the Taj Mahal.
- It’s 58 meters high, 56 meters wide and stands on a 10,000 m² raised marble platform.
- The marble came from 160 km awayfrom the mines of Rajashtan.
- 1,000 elephants have been used to transport this material.
- 20,000 Indians have worked on the structure.
- Building it took 12 years.
- The material was obtained from India, Afghanistan, Tibet and Sri Lanka alongside India.
- The 4 minarets are intentionally skewed. This is to prevent them from falling over the Taj Mahal during a possible earthquake.
- It’s is an Islamic building and you can see this on the crescent moon that adorns the dome and the refined decorations that contain symbols from Islam.
- To make the building look as beautiful as possible, it was built on a plateau, so that you do not see anything at the back except for the air.
- Since 2007 it is on the official list of the seven new world wonders.
- Around 12 million tourists visit it every year.
These are my 16 facts about the Taj Mahal in India! Do you have more facts avout the Taj Mahal in India?
A great place to stay is Hotel Taj Resorts. It’s very close to Taj Mahal and the rooftop has an amazing view on the Taj Mahal. The serve delicous food in the rooftop restaurant! The hotel had a great pool on the roof which I enjoyed using and the staff is ver friendly and helpful.
- Not what you are looking for? Find here more great places to stay in Agra!
The Taj Mahal
- A visit to the Taj Mahal
- The 3 greatest hotels in Agra, India
- Discover the 7 new Wonders of the World
- 10 tips for a visit to the Taj Mahal
- The most bizarre temple in the world: Karni Mata’s rat temple
- Visit the Pushkar Camel Fair in India
- 5 reasons why the Pushkar Fair should be on your bucket list
- 5 must do’s in New Delhi
- 4 tips for New Delhi, India
- The 8 things you need to know about India
- Goa, the three best beaches
- 5 of the best ways to spend your time in India
- 27 fun facts about India