Shiraz is one of the oldest cities in all of Iran and is the capital of the Fars province. The city is situated in the middle of the country and at the beginning of the Zagros mountains. The cities’ nickname is “the rose and nightingale city” and has about 1,2 million inhabitants. Shiraz is a city full of interesting sights, great and bustling bazaars, lovely tea houses and tasty restaurants. I really enjoyed spending time in Shiraz and it’s a great place to spend a couple of days, because there are so many things to do in Shiraz!
I wrote down the 13 most fun things to do in Shiraz.
1. Imagine yourself in a thousand-and-one-night fairytale in the Masjed-e Nasir al Molk mosque. The best time to visit the mosque is 7:00 in the morning, as the light is beautiful at the early time of day.
2. Experience Iranian culture at its purest at the tomb of Hafez. Iranians love poetry and adore the poet Hafez. Visiting his tomb is very expressive.
3. Immerse yourself into the lovely kitsch displayed at the Aramgah-e Shah-e Cheragh mosque. You wouldn’t know where to look next and it doesn’t get more kitsch than this in Iran.
4. Go shopping in Bazar-e Vakil. Tip: buy the “red gold” saffron. Cheap and great to use during cooking at home!
5. Relax in heaven’s garden: Bagh-e Eram. Relax and cool down in one of the most beautiful botanical gardens in all of Iran.
6. Go back in time and visit the old Persian capital of Persepolis. Imagine yourself prince and princess from old Persian times!
7. Have yourself amazed by the Arg-e Karim Khan citadel. Beautiful from the outside and a meeting spot for Iranians who will go for a picnic here every night.
8. Take a seat and just have life pass you by on the Shahrdari square. A moment of tranquility at this bustling square is a great way to experience it.
9. Visit the Masjed-e Vakil mosque. This is also another great looking mosque and definitely worth a visit.
10. Nowadays, streets are covered with umbrellas and Shiraz is no exception. Always great to have a peek. You will find this street at the gold market near the Aramgah-e Shah-e Cheragh mosque.
11. Get lost in all the small streets. Shiraz is a great city to walk around in and even walking without any purpose makes for a great experience!
12. Strike up a conversation with the people. The people in Shiraz are very friendly and nice to talk to.
13. Eat the traditional Shiraz ice cream with some kind of frozen noodles in it. Super tasty!
These are my 13 favorite things to do in Shiraz! What are your favorite things to do in Shiraz?
There are a few nice hotels to stay in Shiraz, but I really loved my stay in The Niayesh Boutique hotel. Traditional house in the center of Shiraz. Perfect quiet location in the old city. The staff is kind, helpful and speak good English!
Read more about Shiraz
- Hafez’ Tomb in the city of Shiraz
- Nasir Al Molk mosque in Shiraz
- How it’s like to visit a mosque in Iran?
- Bagh-e Eram, the most beautiful Persian garden in Iran
Read more about Iran
- How to arrange a visa for Iran?
- What do you wear in Iran
- Why I am going to Iran
- How to arrange a trip to Iran?
- 30 interesting facts about Iran
- You know you are in Iran when….
- 7 must do’s in Esfahan
- Everything you need to know for a visit to Qom
- Naqsh-e Jahan (Imam) square in Isfahan: the most beautiful square in the world